South East Asian Railway Journeys: Jakarta to Malang (South Java) (Paperback)
(Due to distributor limitations, sales of this book are final - it cannot be returned to us.)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 4 in the South East Asian Railway Journeys series.
- #1: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Bangkok to Singapore (Paperback): $12.00
- #2: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Bangkok to Chiang Mai (Paperback): $10.50
- #3: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Bangkok to Vientiane (Paperback): $10.50
- #5: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Hanoi to Saigon (Paperback): $13.00
- #6: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Jakarta to Banyuwangi (and Bali) (Paperback): $13.00
- #7: South East Asian Railway Journeys: Through Malaysia (Paperback): $13.50
This book describes the fourth of a series of long distance journeys through South East Asia. It covers the trip from Jakarta through the southern part of the Indonesian island of Java to Malang.
The purpose of the journey was to look at railway travel as a more leisurely means of tourism. More people who travel want to experience a genuine insight into foreign cultures or to see how local people live their lives. Railway travel provides a good way of doing this. There is also a greater desire to see environmental and social responsibility needs being met in the places that tourists stay in or visit. Added to this is the pursuit of 'slow tourism' where, instead of rushing from one place to another, people want to travel in a more leisurely manner. Railway travel has the potential to accommodate these requirements.
The travelogue style is intended to be anecdotal and illustrative (with photos) and to give the reader an idea of the sort of experiences (good and bad) that one could expect in undertaking the trip.