Moon Tahoe & Reno: Local Spots, Getaway Ideas, Hiking & Skiing (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
At the Store Now
From the glittering lake and trail-lined mountains to Old West towns and artsy urban centers, experience the best of this adventurous region with Moon Tahoe & Reno. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries, including a week-long Lake Tahoe road trip, long weekends for both winter and summer, and the one-week best of Tahoe and Reno
- Strategic advice for hikers, skiers, beach bums, families with kids, foodies and brewery lovers, and more
- The best hikes in Tahoe: Find your adventure, from challenging mountain treks to serene meadow walks, with trail descriptions, difficulty ratings, and maps
- Outdoor adventures for any season: Hit the slopes and get the first tracks through snow-covered pines or spark your adrenaline on the Heavenly Blue Streak zipline. Mountain bike along the breathtaking cliffside Flume Trail, whitewater raft down the Truckee River, and kayak the crystalline waters of Emerald Bay. Hike the rugged Rubicon Trail along the shores of Lake Tahoe to the remarkable Vikingsholm Castle or trek a section of the famed Pacific Crest Trail. Take a relaxing dip in a natural hot spring, soak in the serenity of a secret beach, and watch the sun set over the lake
- Must-see highlights and unique experiences: Drive around Lake Tahoe's 72-mile shoreline, stop at scenic viewpoints, and meander through Old West mountain towns. Stroll past the sculptures and boutiques of Reno's Truckee Riverwalk or explore the interactive installations of Reno Playa Art Park. Take a ride on a 150-year-old railroad route or descend deep into an underground mine. See what's on tap at Reno's award-winning craft breweries, sip craft cocktails in a trendy lounge or try your luck at a casino
- Expert advice from Tahoe local Nicole Szanto on where to eat, where to stay, and how to minimize your environmental impact
- Full-color photos and maps throughout, including a fold-out map
- Thorough background on the weather, wildlife, and history, plus tips on getting there and getting around by car and public transportation
Want to keep on driving? Pick up a copy of Moon Northern California Road Trips.
About the Author
Nicole Szanto is a freelance writer who lives in Glenbrook, NV, a stone's throw from gorgeous Lake Tahoe. She's a hiker, backpacker, skier, and kayaker, but she's also passionate about the less adventurous aspects of Tahoe travel, including its amazing beaches, local shops, and breweries.
Nicole has kayaked all Tahoe's shores and drank a pint at every craft brewery between South Lake and Truckee. She's sought out the area's best swimming holes and gone on expeditions to find its hidden hot springs. She can lead travelers to that perfect stretch of beach even on crowded weekends, and knows how to have a stellar ski trip without breaking the bank.
Nicole has developed content for Reno Food Tours, and currently covers outdoor recreation in Tahoe for websites such as Weekend Sherpa.