Foxfire 11: The Old Home Place, Wild Plant Uses, Preserving and Cooking Food, Hunting Stories, Fishing, More Affairs of Plain Living (Foxfire Series #11) (Paperback)
Available to Order
Other Books in Series
This is book number 11 in the Foxfire Series series.
- #1: The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining (Foxfire Series #1) (Paperback): $21.95
- #2: Foxfire 2: Ghost Stores, Spring Wild Plant Foods, Spinning and Weaving, Midwifing, Burial Customs, Corn Shuckin's, Wagon Making (Foxfire Series #2) (Paperback): $21.00
- #3: Foxfire 3: Animal Care, Banjos and Dulimers, Hide Tanning, Summer and Fall Wild Plant Foods, Butter Churns, Ginseng (Foxfire Series #3) (Paperback): $21.95
- #4: Foxfire 4: Fiddle Making, Spring Houses, Horse Trading, Sassafras Tea, Berry Buckets, Gardening (Foxfire Series #4) (Paperback): $21.95
- #5: Foxfire 5: Ironmaking, Blacksmithing, Flintlock Rifles, Bear Hunting (Foxfire Series #5) (Paperback): $21.95
- #6: Foxfire 6: Shoe Making, 100 Toys and Games, Gourd Banjos and Song Bows, Wooden Locks, A Water-Powered Sawmill (Foxfire Series #6) (Paperback): $21.95
- #7: Foxfire 7: Ministers and Church Members, Revivals and Baptisms, Shaped-Note and Gospel Singing, Faith Healing and Camp Meetings, Foot Washing, Snake Handling (Foxfire Series #7) (Paperback): $21.00
- #8: Foxfire 8: Southern Folk Potter from Pug Mills, Ash Glazes, Groundhog Kilns to Face Jugs, Churns, Roosters, Mule Swapping and Chicken Fighting (Foxfire Series #8) (Paperback): $21.00
- #9: Foxfire 9: General Stores, The Jud Nelson Wagon, A Praying Rock, A Catawban Indian Potter, Haint Tales, Quilting, Homes Cures, The Log Cabin Revisited (Foxfire Series #9) (Paperback): $21.00
- #10: Foxfire 10: Railroad Lore, Boardinghouses, Depression-Era Appalachia, Chairmaking, Whirligigs, Snake Canes, Gourd Art (Foxfire Series #10) (Paperback): $21.00
- #12: Foxfire 12: Square Dancing, Crafts, Cherokee Traditions, Summer Camps, World War Veterans, Personalities (Foxfire Series #12) (Paperback): $21.95
- #13: The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land (Foxfire Series #13) (Paperback): $19.95
First published in 1972, The Foxfire Book was a surprise bestseller that brought Appalachia's philosophy of simple living to hundreds of thousands of readers. Whether you wanted to hunt game, bake the old-fashioned way, or learn the art of successful moonshining, The Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center had a contact who could teach you how with clear, step-by-step instructions.
This eleventh volume celebrates the rituals and recipes of the Appalachian homeplace, including a one-hundred page section on herbal remedies, and segments about planting and growing a garden, preserving and pickling, smoking and salting, honey making, beekeeping, and fishing, as well as hundreds of the kind of spritied firsthand narrative accounts from Appalachian community members that exemplify the Foxfire style. Much more than "how-to" books, the Foxfire series is a publishing phenomenon and a way of life, teaching creative self-sufficiency, the art of natural remedies, home crafts, and other country folkways, fascinating to everyone interested in rediscovering the virtues of simple life.
About the Author
Kaye Carver Collins is the community and teacher liaison at The Foxfire Fund, Inc. Lacy Hunter is a sophomore at Brenau College in Gainesville, Georgia.